The site is located on the western boundary of Auchinleck, and is currently a woodland and site of a former greyhound track. It is a wedge shaped site with the B7083 (Mauchline Road) to the northern edge, the A76 to the western edge, Merlin Loch Park to the east and the railway to the south of the site.
The analysis of the site edge conditions and routes around and through the site provides a starting point for the design of the layout.
The site is wooded, and the development will result in the loss of woodland.
Through indepth ecological surveys that are currently being carried out, we are determining how best to support the ecology of the site in conjunction with the development of the site.
Some key points that have been identified are:
• a large portion of the site will be quite inward looking as a treed buffer will be left around the majority of the site. This will limit the impact on ecology and the impact of the view from the park.
• the corner at Templeton Roundabout is highly visible and home to the Ayrshire Field of Hope. This will be maintained.
• there is noise created by the railway and a noise assessment is being carried out to determine the impact of this.
• the north west corner of the site is prone to flooding – houses will not be built here.
• there is a bus route along Mauchline which is being reviewed with East Ayrshire Roads Dept. to determine the potential need for additional stops.
• The site is an allocated housing site within the Local Development Plan